Battle of the Bands Adult Show & PTA Fundraiser – Please join us at Ballydole THIS SATURDAY, April 22nd at 6:30pm for an evening of entertainment by our PD parent & staff bands. There is a $10 suggested donation/cover charge at the door. This year we will have teacher experiences available to bid on. Click here for the list of experiences. Bidding will ONLY be at Ballydoyle from 6:30pm to 10:00pm! ALL proceeds from this years Battle of the Bands show will be used to purchase new white boards for ALL PD classrooms! See you at the show!
Battle of the Bands Table Raffle – This year we are raffling off 2 tables of 6 for the Battle of the Bands Show! Don’t miss out on an opportunity to have the best seats in the house AND waitress service all evening! Please look for the form in your child’s folder or click on BoB Table Raffle Form. Please turn in your form & cash or check into the office by lunchtime on THURSDAY, April 20th. A staff member will draw names Thursday, April 20th during lunches and your table will be waiting for you Saturday evening!
SPECIAL PTA MEETING – Tuesday, April 25 at 7pm. Please join us to meet members of the District 58 school board, learn about new report cards for next year, updates on all the end of the year activities & possibly meet the NEW PD Principal! Snacks & refreshments will be served & babysitting will be provided.
Service Learning – The following events are for PD students and their families! The Service Learning Committee has set everything up for you. Just choose an activity for your family and RSVP. Every activity requires an adult chaperone. Click Service Learning Events Information and Registration to learn more and to register for events listed.These events are for PD students and their families!
- Spring Cleaning is here! Please bring your gently used household items to the Open House April 27th from 5:30pm-7:00pm. A Sharing Connections’ truck will be parked at Pierce Downer graciously accepting your donation. For details please see the flyer in your student’s Tuesday folder or click here. Contact Melanie Jankauskas at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- April is Autism Awareness Month – SLC wants to share 2 ways you can learn more about and support this community:
- Watch this educational video with your family! “Just Like You – Autism” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0w6carvS8k) is a MidAmerica Emmy award winning video that was created to call our communities, our kids and the world to learn, understand and accept those living with autism.
- Sign up for 2017 “Walk the Walk for Autism” on April 23rd. This walk supports Charlie’s Gift Center for Autism and Related Disorders located in Downers Grove. It is a community-wide resource that strives to help children with autism and related disorders reach their full potential. Click here to learn more about Charlie’s Gift Center programs.
Fun Run – The PD Fun Run/Walk is coming up right after school at 3:15 p.m. on Thursday, May 11th . We hope you will join us for this one mile walk or run! Please fill out the Fun Run Registration and turn into the office with cash or check made out to Pierce Downer PTA. The entry fee is $5 per person and preschoolers are free. Please return form by May 6th to guarantee a drawstring bag.
Fun Run Volunteers Needed -We need your help with the PD Fun Run on Wednesday, May 11th. Please consider volunteering for this fun event. Call or text Carla Lampsa at (312) 218-1551 or email email@example.com if you can help.
Teacher Appreciation Week – Teacher Appreciation Week is May 1st – 5th. Please read the Teacher Appreciation Letter to see how you can help the committee make this a great week for our wonderful teachers.
Earth Week Activities – Earth Week is underway! The PTA’s Healthy Kids Committee has the following activities planned for our students for the rest of the week:
- Today- Nature Hike at Maple Grove Forest Preserve 3:30pm
- Wednesday – Waste-free Lunch Raffle
- Thursday – Sunrise Yoga 7:30am in the gym
- Friday – Walk/Bike to School
For complete details (times, locations) click on our Earth Week Flyer 2016.
Open PTA Executive Board Position for 2017/2018 – If you have a desire to serve on our PTA Executive Board, please let us know! The following position is opening up: Co-Treasurer. We are also always looking for new Chairpersons for many other positions on our PTA. Please contact one of the members of our Nominating Committee by THIS Friday, April 21st if you are interested in an executive position: Janet Hecht firstname.lastname@example.org, Kelly Dietrich email@example.com, or Laurie Siebert LTwite21@gmail.com.
Cubs Tickets – Cubs Tickets are in! They will be handed out at after school THIS THURSDAY, April 20th. An adult needs to pick up your tickets or a 6th grader can pick them up and they will have to sign for them. They will be distributed right outside the front of the school. Any questions or concerns email Bethany Keown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Dates –
THURSDAY – Fun Lunch
SATURDAY – Battle of the Bands Adult Show at Ballydoyle, 6:30pm
4/25 – Spirit Day- Favorite Color Day
4/25 – PTA Meeting, 7pm
4/27 – Open House, 5:30-7:00pm
4/28 – VIP Day (1st & 5th grades), 1:15-2:45pm
5/1 – Cubs Game
5/1-5/5 – Teacher Appreciation Week
5/4 – Fun Lunch
5/18 – Fun Lunch
5/19 – School Spirit Wear Day
For more information on school or PTA activities please visit the school web site or PTA web site. For even more information on community events and activities please check out the District’s e-fliers page at District e-fliers.