SLC (Service Learning Committee) – The Service Learning Committee would like to make a difference in our own neck of the woods by partnering with Sharing Connections, an organization right here in Downers Grove.
- NEW EVENT: STOCKING STUFFING PARTY at Sharing Connections. These stocking are given to children living at or below poverty level in our community. We have some donations left over from the shoebox event and plan to use them in the stockings, but we do need more donations to make the stockings spectacular. Here are the details, we hope you can join us. SPACE IS LIMITED so sign up today!
- Wednesday, December 5th from 6:00-7:30pm
- Sharing Connections: 5111 Chase Avenue Downers Grove
- Reserve your spot and sign up for donations at http://signup.com/login/entry/1047020154968074081
- PLEASE NOTE THERE IS A SEPARATE SPOT TO SIGN UP TO ATTEND THE STOCKING STUFFING PARTY AT SHARING CONNECTIONS. Please consider donating items even if you cannot attend the party on Dec. 5th—THANK YOU!
- Donations can be dropped off at school in the giant gift wrapped box outside the office by Wednesday Dec, 5th.
If your plans change and you are no longer able to make the event after signing up, please contact Kate Urban at firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel as space is limited and there will be a waitlist in effect. If you have any questions, please contact Kate Urban at email@example.com or (810) 824-7110.
Holiday Movie Field Trip – The all school field trip is set for December 21st at the Tivoli Theater. A flyer was sent home with students today or you can click here to view it. The permission slip is due December 12th.
Variety Show – We are still in need of volunteers for the Variety Show that is scheduled for Saturday, February 23rd! Matt Lodding has again graciously volunteered to chair this years show. However, if we do not get enough volunteers to help Matt, this event will not be able to happen. Please sign up here!
PTA Meeting- The minutes from our November PTA meeting can be viewed here.
Thank you to everyone who helped with the SLC Shoebox event last month! Many children overseas will benefit from your donations and help. We couldn’t have done it without the community effort, THANK YOU!
Save the Dates-
FRIDAY – Fun Lunch- Culvers
12/7 – Fun Lunch- Bertos
12/13 – 5th & 6th Grade Music Performance 2:20-2:50pm, in the Gym
12/14 – Fun Lunch – Buona
12/22- 1/6 – Winter Break
Comments Off on 11/27/18 Weekly Email
PTA Meeting & Parent Education – TONIGHT!- Our next PTA meeting is tonight at 7:00pm in the LRC. Immediately following the brief meeting, we will have a guest speaker from MAVinS talk about their program. MAVinS partners with schools to provide supplemental services aimed at preventing violence in schools, empowering parents to carry those messages to their homes and ensuring every child sees school as a safe haven and every teacher can focus on teaching without the fear of violence. We will also have Janet Ibe Alikpala speak for a few minutes about the Education Foundation of Downers Grove District 58 and KOHA. Babysitting will be provided.
Fun Lunch – Friday’s Fun Lunch is pizza day only. Please remember to have your children bring additional snacks and a drink.
Gifts and Goods – Thanks to all who participated in the Gifts and Goods Fundraiser! If you selected to have your Gifts and Goods items delivered to the school, they will be available for pick up on THIS FRIDAY (11/16) after school. Orders will be outside your child’s classroom.
Variety Show – Believe it or not, but we are already planning our 2019 Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater. It will be held Saturday, February 23rd! Matt Lodding has again graciously volunteered to chair this years show. However, we are still in need of parent volunteers to help with a few tasks. Below is a sign up with the different volunteer opportunities. The Variety Show has always been a big event at our school and is enjoyed by kids, parents, grandparents, etc. In order to keep making this a successful event we do need parent volunteers. http://signup.com/go/cmFBHtd
Reflections – We are so, incredibly, proud of our Pierce Downer students. We had 17 entries
in this year’s PTA Reflections contest, “Heroes Around Me”. Students displayed passion, skill
and imagination through their art. The entries are an impressive display of our school’s creativity
and talent. Here are our participants:
- Visual Arts:
- K-2nd grade: Amelia Dougherty, Alyssa Gibbons, Arya Komanduri, Greyson Miller
- 3rd-5th grade: Meili Fleener, Nora Heverin, Tate MacDonald, Avery Miller
- 6th grade: Aiden Dougherty
- Film Production: 3rd– 5th Priya Fisher, Hannah Klemz
- Photography: 3rd– 5th grade: Avery Miller 6th grade: Payton Conway, Dylan Nuttall
- Dance: 3rd-5th grade: Emelia Jaikowski
- Literature: 3rd-5th grade: Sajan Komanduri
- Music Composition: 3rd-5th grade: Maddie Fleener
Thank you to ALL of our participants. They have recently been judged at Pierce Downer, and
many will proceed to compete at the District level. Those selected will be honored Wednesday,
December 5th during a ceremony at Herrick Middle School, with our very own Mrs. Collins
presenting. All the participants have earned themselves a coupon for a free scoop of ice cream
from Culver’s! They will receive their vouchers in the next couple of weeks. Great work to all our
Save the Dates-
TONIGHT – PTA Meeting & Parent Education, 7pm
FRIDAY – Fun Lunch – Zazzos Pizza
FRIDAY – Gifts and Goods Pick Up – after school
11/19 – 11/23 – Thanksgiving Break – No School
11/26 – No School – Teacher Inservice Day
Comments Off on Weekly Email 11/13/18