Six Flags Great America “Read to Succeed” Program – Read a book or two over winter break and earn a ticket to Six Flags Great America! Students who log six hours of reading before Friday, February 10th earn a free ticket to Six Flags Great America! Forms will be sent home THIS TUESDAY. Please encourage your kids to start reading over winter break. Forms must be turned in to teachers by February 10th. Any questions, please contact Laima Palubinskas (email@example.com) or Jen VanHoutan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Crossing Guard Collection – LAST CHANCE- If you would like contribute to the gift please drop off your donation in the box marked “Crossing Guards” in the front office at school. If you would like your name listed on the cards please make sure to add your name on your envelope. No checks please, as the money is going directly to the crossing guards. Please drop off your contribution by the end of school TOMORROW.
Service Learning – These events are for PD students and their families! This is the perfect time of the year to give of your time and your gifts!! The Service Learning Committee has set everything up for you…..just RSVP and volunteer or donate or both! Every activity requires an adult chaperone.
Click Service Learning Events Information and Registration to learn more and to register for events listed.
- Food/Toy Drive – LAST DAY for collection – Tomorrow, Dec 14: Please make this Holiday Season just a little brighter for those in our area needing our help! We will be collecting non-perishable holiday food items and new, unwrapped toys that will be directly donated to West Suburban Community Pantry. Drop items off in collection boxes at school. Please contact Anu Fisher (email@example.com) with questions.
- West Suburban Community Pantry Tour and Volunteer Work – Dec 14 from 4pm-5pm: ONLY A FEW SPOTS LEFT! Don’t forget to sign up your family to tour the West Suburban Community Pantry. You will also be able to sort and distribute donated goods. Please contact Anu Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to attend.
- Adopt-a-Family for the Holidays: Another great opportunity during the holiday season to help fulfill a family’s holiday wish list within our very own dg58 community. There are still a few gifts left on the signup. Drop them off by tomorrow 12/14. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0f4facaf2cabf58-adopt. Contact Nicki Blattner at email@example.com with any questions.
- Christmas Caroling in Pierce Downer Neighborhood – Dec 15 from 6pm-7pm: With the weather predicted to dip down to 5 degrees this Thursday, this event may be postponed. If you are interested in caroling, please RSVP to Jamie Kolar at firstname.lastname@example.org. If caroling gets canceled and/or rescheduled for next week, Jamie will notify you via email. Meet at Pierce Downer to review the route and receive the printed songs. Dress in festive gear and bring a hot beverage.
- PADS at St. Mary’s in Downers Grove – Jan 6: One-hour shifts will run sometime between 5:00pm – 8:00pm. We need students and their parents to set up beds, set tables, bake desserts, donate food, and serve guests at soup and drink stations. Please RSVP to Jennie Amidei at email@example.com if interested and specify when you are available and what food you are able to donate.
- Lekotek Holiday Party in Lincoln ParkNeighborhood – Last Saturday 4 Pierce Downer Students attended the Lekotek Holiday party and ran a craft station for 60 children with disabilities. They helped the children make snowflake ornaments. Photo attached below.
STEAM Classes– For more information and to register for any of the classes listed below, click the link on STEAM Class Information and Registration.
- New Language Labs – Spanish Class during lunch/recess (15 week session) K – 6th Grades. Starting Wednesdays, January 11th – April 26th, 2017, from 11:40-12:20 in the Pierce Downer Primary Breakout Room. Cost is $210
- Chess Club – Chess Club Winter session! Chess Scholars (10 weeks session) K-6th Grades. Classes begin Tuesday, January 17th – March 21st, 2017 from 4pm-5pm in the Pierce Downer Gym. Cost before Jan. 7th is $122. After Jan. 7th the cost is $137. Click on Chess Club Flyer for more information.
- Reminder: Last Fall Chess class is today, December 13th!
Reflections – Last Wednesday, December 7, PTA Reflections honored all of the students that advanced to the DuPage East District level at an awards ceremony taking place at Herrick Middle School. In addition, they announced the student entries that further advanced to the Regional level competition. Pierce Downer has 9 students entering the Regional competition, which is a tie for the school with the MOST entries advancing to the next level! Here are the entries that proceeded onto Regional:
- Film Production: K-2nd grade: Hannah Klemz; 3rd– 5th grade: Rajan Fisher
- Photography: K-2nd grade: Jimmy Gruszka
- Dance: 3rd-5th grade: Sydney Miller and Rylie Conway
- Literature: 3rd-5th grade: Pallavi Fisher
- Music Composition: 3rd-5th grade: Malini Fisher, Sydney Peterson, Emily Van Houtan
In addition, we will be displaying some of the projects in the library in the month of January. Take a look at the beautiful artwork that was created. We are so proud of our Pierce Downer students!!
Box Tops – The PTA is no longer collecting box tops for education. Please contact Lora Dominow (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
The Pierce Downer PTA would like to wish our families and staff a safe and relaxing holiday break!
Save the Dates –
THURSDAY – Fun Lunch
12/19- 1/2 – Winter Break
For more information on school or PTA activities please visit the school web site or PTA web site. For even more information on community events and activities please check out the District’s e-fliers page at District e-fliers.