PTA Meeting Minutes – Thank you to all PD parents who attended the PTA meeting and presentation by Dr. Rich. If you are interested, you can access Dr. Rich’s “Parenting in the 1:1 Digital Age” presentation here: tinyurl.com/parent1to1. The meeting minutes can be viewed here.
Parent/Teacher Conference Babysitting – Babysitting is available for parent/teacher conferences! Girl Scout Troop 51262 is providing free babysitting in the Pierce Downer gym during P/T conferences. The troop consists of 6th and 7th grade girls who are earning their babysitting badge. The girls (along with adult chaperones) will entertain your children ages 2 and up while you meet with the teachers. Space is limited to 12 kids per time slot, so as soon as you sign-up for your conference, go online to http://signup.com/go/2faEqS to claim a spot. Any questions contact Troop Leader, Sharon Gruszka at email@example.com.
Pierce Downer Scholarship – Know any students at Downer Grove North graduating this year that went to Pierce Downer? The PTA is sponsoring a scholarship for a student who went to Pierce Downer (at least grades 3rd-6th), has at least a C average, and is a positive role model through community service activities. Applications are available on the Family Connections link of the DGN website. Please pass on to anyone you know that may be eligible. Contact Carrie Reichert at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Reading Games – Reading Games Spirit Wear is available for purchase. Orders are due by Friday, February 10, 2017. Please note, t-shirts can be purchased individually and do not need to be purchased as one order per team. However, a team should coordinate T-Shirt colors including the team parent and team chaperone. Helping as a volunteer, but not as a team parent or team chaperone? Please consider purchasing the maroon T-Shirt which includes “Volunteer” in the logo. To order click on http://store.zimmzang.com/readinggames. Please direct questions to ReadingGamesDG58@gmail.com.
Become a Subscriber Service Learning Committee (SLC) and/or STEAM! – Have you been forgetting to sign up for events posted in the PTA Newsletter? Do you want information from the Service Learning Committee (SLC) or STEAM Committee sent directly to you? Become a subscriber! If you would like to sign up for regular informational emails from either the SLC or STEAM Committee, please click https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/form8/index.html and fill out the form. We will add you to our email list and send you updated program/event dates, details and contact information right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe to the emails at any time by emailing Stephanie Vroman at Stephanie@formsite.com.
Service Learning – The following events are for PD students and their families! The Service Learning Committee has set everything up for you. Just choose an activity for your family and RSVP. Every activity requires an adult chaperone. Click Service Learning Events Information and Registration to learn more and to register for events listed.These events are for PD students and their families!
- Kindness Pouches –The SLC is proud to be partnering with Student Council again on the Kindness Pouches! We are collecting warm socks, hand warmers, granola bars, trail mix and chapstick to distribute to the homeless. Items can be dropped off in the bins next to the LRC throughout the remainder of the school year.
- Lexington Nursing Care Center – Please join the SLC for our February volunteer opportunity! We will be visiting the residents of the Lexington Nursing Care Center in Lombard (2100 S. Finley Rd.) to make Valentine crafts together. The event will be Monday, Feb. 13 at 3:30. All craft materials will be provided. We have space for 15-20 volunteers to join us! Please note that all students must be transported and accompanied by an adult during this event. Please RSVP to Becky Meyers at email@example.com.
- Blessings in a Backpack – The Service Learning Committee will be hosting a packing party for blessings in a backpack for 300 DG58 students.
- Date : Tomorrow, Wednesday, 1/25
- Time/Location: 3pm in the Pierce Downer Gym. Event will last 1 – 1.5 hours.
- If you are interested in signing up and/or have questions please email Nicki Blattner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEAM Classes– For more information and to register for any of the classes listed below, click the link on STEAM Class Information and Registration
- Volunteers for STEM Night Out- We are looking for Mom volunteers! No science knowledge required. Test our a station, assist at a station or run a station this Friday from 6:30-8:30pm. Need more information? Click on the STEAM Class Information link above. Please contact Jamie Moss if interested at email@example.com.
- STEM Night Out – FINAL REMINDER! Attention 3rd-6th grade girls…want to build a rocket, make your own stethoscope? Please join us for an evening of fun, friends and SCIENCE at the upcoming SNO (STEM Night Out)!
- When: THIS FRIDAY, 6:30-8:30pm
- Click here to view flyer and register your daughter using the online form!
- Common Threads- Cooking for Life with local chef Rae Ellen on Monday, February 27th from 3-4pm in the Pierce Downer Gym for Kindergarten- 3rd Grade students. Learn about nutrition and healthy cooking. Students will make and eat a healthy snack during class. Click on link above for more info and to register.
- Art Awareness Committee – FINAL REMINDER –If you are eager to provide input about our Art Awareness Program at Pierce Downer, please sign up for the Art Awareness Committee….we want to hear from you!! This committee will be meeting to start conversations about next year’s program. Agenda items that will be discussed include user-friendliness of lesson plans, creating videos of lessons, providing demos for parents, etc. Please RSVP to Kelly Henrikson at firstname.lastname@example.org that you are interested in joining this committee and she will keep you informed of upcoming meetings to brainstorm.
Sweetheart Dance – Calling all PD girls! You’re invited to the second-annual Pierce Downer Sweetheart Dance! Grab a guy that’s special to you: Dad, Grandpa, Uncle or family friend, too. Join us on Tuesday, February 14th from 6:30 – 8:30 for Coach Josh, a photo booth, light refreshments and more! Please RSVP and pay via this link- https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/dance/index.html. RSVP no later than Friday, February 10th. We hope to see you there!
Save the Dates –
THURSDAY – Spirit Day – Crazy Hair Day
THURSDAY – Fun Lunch
2/2 – Fun Lunch
2/8-2/9 – Parent Teacher Conferences
2/10 – Spirit Day – Mismatch Day
For more information on school or PTA activities please visit the school web site or PTA web site. For even more information on community events and activities please check out the District’s e-fliers page at District e-fliers.