PTA Meeting & Parent Education Presentation TONIGHT – Join us for our general PTA meeting tonight at 7:00pm in the PD Gym. We are delighted to be hosting Dr. Matt Rich and he will be presenting on “Parenting in the 1:1 Digital Age”. The PTA believes this is a topic we all struggle with as parents and looks forward to Dr. Rich’s insights as to how to manage it in our own families. Babysitting will be provided.
Alter Brewing Guys Night – Calling all Pierce Downer Dads! It’s time for you to have some fun. This Thursday, January 19, from 7p-10pm, PD will have a private room at Alter Brewery for Dads to have some pizza, beers, catch up with old friends and maybe make some new ones! It is $25 for three (3) beers and pizza. Please RSVP and pay via this link – https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/alter/. Please RSVP and pay by tomorrow.
Sweetheart Dance – Calling all PD girls! You’re invited to the second-annual Pierce Downer Sweetheart Dance! Grab a guy that’s special to you: Dad, Grandpa, Uncle or family friend, too. Join us on Tuesday, February 14th from 6:30 – 8:30 for Coach Josh, a photo booth, light refreshments and more! Please RSVP and pay via this link- https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/dance/index.html. RSVP no later than Friday, February 10th. We hope to see you there!
Reflections Update – Please remember to visit the LRC this month to view the amazing work of our Pierce Downer students that participated in the 2016-2017 PTA Reflections art competition. We have 14 projects currently on display, with an additional 9 projects that just finished the Regional competition. Out of those 9 projects, 4 Pierce Downer students will be competing at the Illinois state level competition. Please congratulate Rylie Conway (dance), Sydney Miller (dance), Sydney Peterson (music) and Emily VanHoutan (music) on their outstanding achievement!
Become a Subscriber Service Learning Committee (SLC) and/or STEAM! – Have you been forgetting to sign up for events posted in the PTA Newsletter? Do you want information from the Service Learning Committee (SLC) or STEAM Committee sent directly to you? Become a subscriber! If you would like to sign up for regular informational emails from either the SLC or STEAM Committee, please click https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/form8/index.html and fill out the form. We will add you to our email list and send you updated program/event dates, details and contact information right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe to the emails at any time by emailing Stephanie Vroman at Stephanie@formsite.com.
Service Learning – These events are for PD students and their families! The Service Learning Committee has set everything up for you…..just RSVP and volunteer or donate or both! Every activity requires an adult chaperone. Click Service Learning Events Information and Registration to learn more and to register for events listed.
- Blessings in a Backpack – The Service Learning Committee will be hosting a packing party for blessings in a backpack for 300 DG58 students. We are looking for 8 – 10 volunteers to help!
- Date : Wednesday, 1/25
- Time: TBD, however more than likely it will be sometime between 3 – 5pm (event will last 1 – 1.5 hours). We will send an update as soon as the time has been confirmed.
- Location: TBD, however it will be at a DG58 elementary school, potentially Pierce or El Sierra. We will send an update as soon as the location has been confirmed as well.
- If you are interested in signing up and/or have questions please email Nicki Blattner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’re an SLC subscriber you will get an email with the details as soon as we have them.
STEAM Classes– For more information and to register for any of the classes listed below, click the link on STEAM Class Information and Registration
- STEM Night Out – Attention 3rd-6th grade girls…want to build a rocket, make your own stethoscope? Please join us for an evening of fun, friends and SCIENCE at the upcoming SNO (STEM Night Out)!
- Chess Club – LAST DAY TO SIGN UP – Chess Club Winter session! Chess Scholars (10 weeks session) K-6th Grades. Classes begin Tuesday, January 17th – March 21st, 2017 from 4pm-5pm in the Pierce Downer Gym. Cost is $137. Click on Chess Club Flyer for more information.
- Art Awareness Committee – If you are eager to provide input about our Art Awareness Program at Pierce Downer, please sign up for the Art Awareness Committee….we want to hear from you!! This committee will be meeting to start conversations about next year’s program. Agenda items that will be discussed include user-friendliness of lesson plans, creating videos of lessons, providing demos for parents, etc. Please RSVP to Kelly Henrikson at email@example.com that you are interested in joining this committee and she will keep you informed of upcoming meetings to brainstorm.
Save the Dates –
TONIGHT – PTA Meeting & Parent Education Presentation, 7pm in the Gym.
THURSDAY – Alter Brewing Guys Night, 7pm-10pm
1/26 – Spirit Day – Crazy Hair Day
1/26 – Fun Lunch
2/2 – Fun Lunch
For more information on school or PTA activities please visit the school web site or PTA web site. For even more information on community events and activities please check out the District’s e-fliers page at District e-fliers.