PTA Meeting – Join us for our general PTA meeting on Tuesday, January 17th at 7:00pm in the PD Gym. We are delighted to be hosting Dr. Matt Rich and he will be presenting on “Parenting in the 1:1 Digital Age”. The PTA believes this is a topic we all struggle with as parents and looks forward to Dr. Rich’s insights as to how to manage it in our own families. Babysitting will be provided.
Alter Brewing Guys Night – Calling all Pierce Downer Dads! It’s time for you to have some fun. On January 19, from 7p-10pm, PD will have a private room at Alter Brewery for Dads to have some pizza, beers, catch up with old friends and maybe make some new ones! It is $25 for three (3) beers and pizza. Please RSVP and pay via this link – https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/alter/. Please RSVP and pay by January 18.
Sweetheart Dance – Calling all PD girls! You’re invited to the second-annual Pierce Downer Sweetheart Dance! Grab a guy that’s special to you: Dad, Grandpa, Uncle or family friend too. Join us on Tuesday, February 14th from 6:30 – 8:30 for Coach Josh, a photo booth, light refreshments and more! Please RSVP and pay via this link- https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/dance/index.html. RSVP no later than Friday, February 10th. We hope to see you there!
Artcot – We have an Artcot chair and are now looking for people to help set up for the different countries. Please reach out to Bethany Keown at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be involved.
Become a Subscriber SLC/STEAM!- Have you been forgetting to sign up for events posted in the PTA Newsletter? Do you want information from the Service Learning Committee (SLC) or STEAM Committee sent directly to you? Become a service learning subscriber! If you would like to sign up for regular informational emails from either the SLC or STEAM Committee, please click https://fs22.formsite.com/dgforms/form8/index.html and fill out the form. We will add you to our email list and send you updated program/event dates, details and contact information right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe to the emails at any time by emailing Stephanie Vroman at Stephanie@formsite.com.
STEAM Classes– For more information and to register for any of the classes listed below, click the link on STEAM Class Information and Registration
- STEM Night Out – Attention 3-6 grade girls…want to build a rocket, make your own stethoscope? Please join us for an evening of fun, friends and SCIENCE at the upcoming SNO (STEM Night Out)!
- Chess Club – LAST WEEK TO SIGN UP – Chess Club Winter session! Chess Scholars (10 weeks session) K-6th Grades. Classes begin Tuesday, January 17th – March 21st, 2017 from 4pm-5pm in the Pierce Downer Gym. Cost before Jan. 7th is $122. After Jan. 7th the cost is $137. Click on Chess Club Flyer for more information.
- Art Awareness Committee – If you are eager to provide input about our Art Awareness Program at Pierce Downer, please sign up for the Art Awareness Committee….we want to hear from you!! This committee will be meeting to start conversations about next year’s program. Agenda items that will be discussed include user-friendliness of lesson plans, creating videos of lessons, providing demos for parents, etc. Please RSVP to Kelly Henrikson at email@example.com that you are interested in joining this committee and she will keep you informed of upcoming meetings to brainstorm.
- New Language Labs – LAST DAY TO SIGN UP! – Spanish Class during lunch/recess (15 week session) K – 6th Grades. Starting Wednesdays, January 11th – May 3rd, 2017, from 11:40-12:20 in the Pierce Downer Primary Breakout Room. Cost is $210
- Reminder: Bricks4Kidz Engineering and Jr. Robotics continues Mondays from 4 -5pm. This winter session concludes January 30th.
- IMPORTANT NOTE TO CURRENT LANGUAGE LABS ATTENDEES – Due to a schedule conflict last week, the last class for the current Language Labs session that started October 12, 2016, will be this Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 (one week later than originally scheduled). Please attend class this Wednesday.
- IMPORTANT NOTE TO CURRENT LANGUAGE STARS ATTENDEES – There is NO CLASS on 1/16 or 1/17 due to the Monday MLK holiday. Please double check the Language Stars calendar each week or consult the Pierce Downer website calendar, especially during weeks when there is a holiday.
Service Learning – These events are for PD students and their families! This is the perfect time of the year to give of your time and your gifts!! The Service Learning Committee has set everything up for you…..just RSVP and volunteer or donate or both! Every activity requires an adult chaperone. Click Service Learning Events Information and Registration to learn more and to register for events listed.
- PADS at St. Mary’s in Downers Grove – Last Friday night, 11 PD students (plus parents) served 70 guests at PADS soup, salad, drinks and desserts, and washed dishes. And 17 families donated the food and drinks for the entire meal!! Thank you to all the families who contributed to the meal and donated their time….your generosity was much appreciated!
- West Suburban Community Pantry – Thank you to all the Pierce Downer families for their support of the West Suburban Community Pantry last month. Students and their families responded generously to the food and toy drive by donating more than 120 pounds of food and 30 bags of toys. The food collected equates to approximately 100 meals and the toys spread holiday cheer to some of the children who receive food from WSCP. We also had over 50 people attend the tour of the facility and stock shelves!
Variety Show – FINAL REMINDER – Please click on https://goo.gl/forms/L15m5CfMtkrntk6B3 for rehearsal and sign up information. All forms will be completed online this year and only ONE parent leader for each group will complete the Act Information section. All participating students must have the permission slip completed in order to attend the audition’s. Completed forms are due no later than THIS Friday, January 13th.
PLEASE NOTE: Acts must be near performance ready by auditions on January 26th and 27th. If you have any questions, please email Matt Lodding at Matt@YourNightProductions.com.
Reflections Update – Congratulations again to all of the students who participated in the Reflections program this year! We had 9 total projects that were selected to move onto the Regional competition. The projects that are not moving on to compete at the regional level will be displayed in the library beginning this week. A majority of these projects had advanced to the District level, and we could not be prouder of all of our students accomplishments. Please stop by the library to see these amazing projects!
Box Tops – Although Pierce Downer PTA is no longer collecting box tops, Herrick PTA is collecting them. Feel free to bring any box tops to the Pierce Downer office and a Herrick parent will stop by periodically to pick them up.
Save the Dates –
THURSDAY – Fun Lunch
FRIDAY – Variety Show applications due
1/16 – No School – MLK Day
1/17 – PTA Meeting, 7pm
1/19 – Alter Brewing Guys Night
1/26 – Spirit Day – Crazy Hair Day
1/26 – Fun Lunch
For more information on school or PTA activities please visit the school web site or PTA web site. For even more information on community events and activities please check out the District’s e-fliers page at District e-fliers.